Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Help! I don't know that farming term!

As the granddaughter of a farmer, I often run up against terms I don’t understand. If you’ve ever faced a similar situation, consider taking a look at the Dictionary of Agriculture which contains thousands of agriculture terms from "a horizon" to "zygote." The dictionary is arranged alphabetically, of course, with two prefaces, and a supplement section containing weights and measures, conversion tables, the periodic table of elements, chromosome numbers for common plant and animal species, MAFF land use classifications, land capability classifications, nitrogen fertilizers, anatomy diagrams of a horse and cow, the various parts of a plant, illustrations of ears of cereals, gestation periods, zadoks scale, and world commodity markets. It includes a pronunciation key and offers a good jumping off point for further exploration about the agricultural term you’re looking for.

Stephens, Alan (1998) Dictionary of Agriculture. Chicago: Fizroy Dearborn Publishers, 2nd edition. 1579580769

No comments: